Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Project Bike - First post


For as long as I can remember, every time I would pass a motorbike that had obviously been modified, I would find the time to steal a moment to check it out.  Even if I was in a rush to get somewhere.  I wouldn't always love what I saw, but I loved to see what form someone else's brainchild took, appreciating the fact that someone managed to translate a bunch of crazy ideas from their head into a living, breathing machine.  Just like the next guy, I have crazy ideas too, but not having the skills or experience to bring them out on a bike always held me back.  As background, I’ve spend my life working a desk job, so I have soft hands and pale skin…ha ha

Old Bike
It didn't help that the bike I owned was a Ducati 848 evo in white with red rims.  Maybe not everyone's taste, but it was too new and too pretty to start the sort of project I had in mind.  I'm not entirely sure what the exact trigger was, but I reached the point where I wanted to give my project bike a crack.  Going into this I figured that I would start with modest plans and build up from there.  At this point in time, I don’t know exactly what the project bike will end up looking like, but I know I want to start it.  Time will tell how much I end up doing.  The point of this blog on this project bike is to demonstrate what someone with very limited skill can achieve (or how quickly he can completely ruin a perfectly good motorbike).

Step one was to sell the Ducati. There definitely wasn't room in the garage to keep it, the new bike and my trusty ktm dirt bike.  So with the Ducati gone, I needed my project bike.  I wanted my first project bike to be newish because I'm not mechanically minded enough to deal with an aging bike. I wanted a good bike as a base with which to start and eventually settled on a 2009 triumph street triple r (yes, the last of the round headlights).  After much searching, I eventually found the right bike for the job.  So after flying down to Melbourne and riding it back to Sydney, I was good to go.  Here she is…

Project Bike

Over the coming weeks and months (possibly years if things go really badly), I'll update the blog with what's new on the bike.  Stay tuned....

Shav

No comments:

Post a Comment